Earlier today at Millbrae the Ayrshire Bulls bounced back from opening round defeat to muscle past Broughmuir Bears 32-27. The Bulls were cruising with the game reaching its’ conclusion, but a belligerent Bears team grabbed two at the death to flatter the opposition.


Despite not putting the visitors to bed late in the contest, Peter Murchie is happy with the final outcome: “When you have worked hard for a 70 minutes period to concede to late tries is disappointing, but the main focus of the performance is that we are pleased because we can’t beat guys with a stick all the time”. The head coach was also delighted with how the new faces to Millbrae took their opportunities: “They (the newcomers) looked dangerous and we managed to get in behind a few times. The guys who came in did a good job and the experience the pro-players in the backline brought helped us”.


It was a dream start for the Bulls, with Warriors duo McDowall and Hughes linking up to draw first blood. McDowall put a dink through the line into the dead ball area for Hughes to dive clear. Frazier Climo, kited out in his beloved Taranaki colours, slotted the conversion.


The Bears retaliated in kind, with a quick try and penalty snatching control of the game after 13 minutes. Sam Kitchen got the next score, latching onto the back of a devastating rolling maul which marched up the field from the 22.  The score was followed by another, with winger Tom Lewis diving clear moments later. Lewis was a busy man in the first half, popping up in the backline to provide go-forward for the Bulls.


Half-time: Ayrshire Bulls 19-10 Boroughmuir Bears. The bears opened up the second half with a penalty to scrape back the deficit. After an hour played Ollie Smith hit a beautiful inside line to weave past the defence. He fed the supporting McDowall, who in-turn fed Hughes to bag his second.


The result looked confirmed when Climo stretched the lead on 68 minutes, with a routine penalty in front of the posts to make it 27-13 with seven minutes left to play Graham Geldenhuys put the icing on the cake, with a score out wide to make it 32-13.


With the result put to bed the Bulls took their foot off the gas, allowing Bears to run in two late tries and steal a losing-bonus point.


FULL-TIME: Ayrshire Bulls 32-27 Boroughmuir Bears.


For an all-round abrasive performance and a nifty 40 yard break, Lars Morrice was named FOSROC Man of the Match.