Callum Kerr @ Millbrae

Last night the Ayrshire Bulls slumped to a 21-24 defeat over Sprint Series leaders Watsonians in their final match of the season. The Bulls, who have tended to finish better than they start all season, were staring down the barrel 72 minutes in with a 0-24 score line providing grim viewing for the Millbrae faithful. True to form they conjured up 21 points in the final eight minutes – each score as glimmeringly impressive as the last – but it wasn’t enough to undo the prior damage.

(Image – George McMillan)

Watsonians had plenty to play for in the final ten minutes as well. One more try would have provided a bonus point and secured the FOSROC Super6 Sprint Series title, but now it’ll all be decided next week when they meet Stirling County in the decider. County will need to leave with all five points and hold Watsonians to none to overturn the deficit.


Predictably, Head Coach Peter Horne was disappointed with how his side performed: “First half we were completely outplayed. We had a couple chances right at the start where they defended really well, we struggled to get over the line… after that we didn’t touch the ball”.


“When we went in at half time I said ‘you’ve got to fire a shot, you’re getting well beat’… Second half we had a lot more chances that we didn’t finish and then it wasn’t until the last ten minutes that we started hanging onto the ball and getting over the line”.


The loss confirms the Bulls final league standing as third, but Horne is optimistic that the side will be back competing for silverware after the post-season: “To be honest we are not too far away! If we tidy up our set-piece, we will be in a much better place. The last couple weeks we have struggled there.


“We’re not losing too much (players), there won’t be too much of a turnover. There’s a lot of young guys who have had experience the last couple of weeks and they’ll be a lot better off the back of it”.


Two tries and a penalty unanswered for the visitors provided a 0-17 deficit at half time.


The spark the Bulls needed almost happened after the break. A runaway counterattack ended with Cam Jones diving clear in the far corner, but the assistant referee waved his flag for touch.


An hour in Watsonians bagged their third to inevitably pull the game out of reach.


With seven minutes to play Thomas Glendinning started the Bulls’ late charge. The second – three minutes later – was created by a crafty Tom Jordan chip. The fly-half regathered before sending Finn Callaghan on a weaving run through the attempted tacklers to complete a spectacular score.


With the clock in red Thomas Glendinning grabbed a second, which called an end to proceedings.


Full-Time: Ayrshire Bulls 21-24 Watsonians Rugby